How language works
How language works: Success in literacy and learning is a comprehensive and innovative professional development program for educators seeking to extend their understandings about language and literacy. The program aims to:
- make the workings of the language system explicit in constructing knowledge across all learning areas and in all facets of teaching and learning
- build understandings about the patterned ways meanings are made within and across genres so that educators are able to develop students' language resources to understand and produce those genres
- enable participants to understand and use the differences between spoken and written language, both as a teaching and a learning tool
- develop the ability to assess language explictly and efficiently to support the learning of all students
- promote a teaching and learning cycle that provides opportunities for an explicit focus on language as part of a rich learning environment.
- This program is an intensive five-day train-the-trainer professional development program for classroom teachers, particularly those with a knowledge and interest in literacy issues in education.
- Tutor training is delivered in host schools around the world to small groups of up to 20 teachers.
- Successful graduates of the training become resident school-based Tutors who deliver the Teacher Development Course. This provides your school with cost-effective, school-managed professional development.
- The cost of the Tutor Training is AUD$4375 (GST to be applied for Australian venues).
As a How language works trained Tutor, you can deliver the Teacher Development Course in your own school.
The course incorporates group discussion, small group activities, classroom-based research and highly practical readings. It is designed to develop teachers' understandings about language and literacy using a functional model of language.
Trained Tutors deliver 30 hours of face-to-face professional development in 10 modules which, when combined with between module activities and readings, is equivalent to more than 60 hours of professional development for teachers.
As a trained Tutor you can deliver the following modules in your school.
Module 1: Building understandings of genre and register
Module 2: Applying understandings of genre and register
Module 3: Representing experience
Module 4: Focusing on language resources for representing experience
Module 5: Making connections—Working with clauses
Module 6: Making connections across a text
Module 7: Language for organising meanings—Orientation and flow
Module 8: The power and the passion—Interacting with others
Module 9: Taking a stance—Expressing attitude and engaging with other views
Module 10: Macro-scaffolding language and learning
You can find out more about the How language works: Success in literacy and learning Tutor Training Program by contacting our Consultants:
Tutor Training Consultants
For general enquiries please contact DECD Publishing